Video consumption has changed significantly over the past few years. People want content that adds value and can be easily watched on-the-go. The majority of us now prefer to watch online videos instead of TV, adding up to a whooping 1 billion hours of video each day on Youtube. Cisco predicts that by 2022 online videos will make up more than 82% of all internet traffic, 15 times more than it was in 2017. So videos are here to stay and the volume is growing at a very fast rate. What it means for companies is that video content should be at the heart of their digital marketing strategies.
The strength lies in images
Need more convincing? Viewers are believed to retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in text. And social media posts with video have 48% more views and generates 1200% more shares than text and image content combined.
Few numbers from businesses,
- 32% of companies say images are the most important form of content for their businesses.
- Content marketing gets 3x more leads than paid advertising.
- 51% of B2B companies prioritize the creation of visual assets as part of their content marketing strategy.
- 45% of B2C companies believe visual content is their most important type of content.
And on the consumer side,
- 47% of buyers viewed 3-5 pieces of content before engaging with a sales rep.
Less is More
However while video marketing is a powerful tool, there are a few things you should keep in mind before launching your video campaigns. Videos need to be short, videos under two minutes long get the most engagement: 33% of viewers will stop watching a video after 30 seconds, 45% by one minute, and 60% by two minutes. You should also refrain from hard selling your brand or products and will need to keep your target audience interested to break through their walls. Consumers are now digitally literate and have become increasingly cynical with bombarded advertising and know how to filter out ads. People don’t want to be sold products, they want to be educated and inspired, they want value for their time.
Don’t worry, inspired content based on storytelling doesn’t necessarily means big budget brand film. In fact that strategy is doomed to only get you so far. What’s needed is a structured approach to video content marketing. Want to know more? Check out our Help Hub Hero article.
Social Media Statistics
Last few words about the different social media platforms and how they should impact your video content strategy:
- Globally, there are over 2.38 billion monthly active users on Facebook.
- 1.56 billion active users log onto Facebook every day.
- Facebook is the second most-used platform globally.
- Facebook no longer dominates the teen social media landscape as it once did.
- From all the countries represented on the platform, India has the most Facebook users.
- Instagram has over 1 billion active monthly users.
- Over 500 million people use Instagram every day.
- Instagram’s user count is growing close to 5% per quarter.
- There are over 400 million Instagram users creating Instagram stories every day.
- Instagram Stories posted a 220% increase in year-on-year ad spend.
- 71% of Instagram users are under 35.
- Seven out of ten hashtags on Instagram are branded.
- The average Instagram user spends 53 minutes on the app per day.
- LinkedIn has over 500 million users.
- 40% of members visit the professional social network each day.
- 39% of the 500 million LinkedIn users are paying for a premium account.
- The average LinkedIn user spends 17 minutes on the site per month.
- There are 369 million monthly active Twitter users as of 2018.
- 29% of Internet users with college degrees are on Twitter.
- Twitter accounts for 16% of referrals to longer articles from social sites and 14% for shorter news articles.
- Tweets with videos get over six times as many retweets as tweets with photos.
- There are over 250 million active users on Pinterest.
- 80% of millennial Pinterest users say that the platform helps them decide what they should buy.
- 85% of women users use Pinterest to plan “life moments”.
- 80% of people use Pinterest on mobile.
- Snapchat has 190 million daily active users.
- On average, Snapchat users under the age of 25 visit Snapchat over 20 times every day and spend over 30 minutes on the app every day.
Knowing more about the platforms will allow you to determine which platforms and techniques will work best for your business and target audience.
Sources: Google , Cisco, YouTube, Insivia, Wordstream, Ad Age, Zephoria, Hootsuite, Pinterest, Facebook, LinkedIn, CoSchedule Blog, Omnicore Agency, Oberlo, Sprout Social, Statitsa, TechCrunch, Our Social Times, Pew Research Centre, Wochit.